Well, February is here and Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. We’ve got a fun xoxo Valentine wall hanging using Hoffman’s Celebrate the Season panel for February.
The quilt above finishes to 36″ x 36″ and is intended to be a wall hanging. You can easily make it larger by adding additional borders. The fabric requires to make the wall hanging are:
1 Celebrate the Seasons February Panel
1/2 yard dark fuchsia fabric
Fat quarters of light pink, dark pink and purple
1 1/4 yard backing fabric of your choice
Crib size batting
Don’t forget your basic sewing supplies including a sewing machine with a new needle, Aurifil 50wt thread in a light color, rotary cutter, mat and ruler, pins and an iron.
Next, it’s time to cut your fabric.
Cut the Be Mine panel, separating the focus panel from the supplemental fabric. See Figure A.
Using a rotary cutter and ruler, trim the focus panel to 24″ x 24″, being careful to center the motif
From your dark fuchsia fabric cut:
(2) 1.5″ x 24″ strips
(2) 1.5″ x 26.5″ strips
(4) 2.5″ x WOF strips for binding
From your supplemental Valentine fabric cut:
(4) 6.5″ x 26.5″ strips. Cut two with the fabric horizontal, then cut two with the fabric vertical due to the directional nature of the project.
From your light pink fabric cut:
(8) 3.5″ squares
(16) 2.5″ squares
From your dark pink fabric cut:
(10) 2.5″ squares
From your purple fabric cut:
(16) 2.5″ squares
Make Your “O” Blocks
Stack a dark pink 2.5″ square on top of a light pink 2.5″ square with right sides together and the corners aligned. Draw a diagonal line from one corner to the other. Stitch along this line. Cut a 1/4″ from the seam on the outer side. Open the block and press the seam toward the dark fabric. Make 8 half square triangles (HST).
Sew a 9-patch block as shown with your HSTs in the corners, and light and dark pink squares positioned as shown. Press seams open. Make 2 blocks
Make Your X Blocks
Stack a purple 2.5″ square on top of a light pink 3.5″ square with right sides together and the corners aligned. Draw a diagonal line from one corner to the other. Stitch along this line. Cut a 1/4″ from the seam on one side. Open the block and press the seam toward the dark fabric. Repeat on the opposite corner of the block as shown to the right. Make 8 units.
Sew a 4-patch block as shown to form an X. Press seams open. Make 2 blocks.
Now, it is time to put it together! Use a 1/4″ seam throughout.
- Sew a 1.5″ x 24″ dark fuchsia strip to the top and bottom of the focus panel. Iron, pressing the seam to the darker fabric.
- Sew a 1.5″ x 26.5″ dark fuchsia strip to the right and left sides of the focus panel. Iron, pressing the seam to the darker fabric.
- Sew a 6.5″ x 26.5″ Valentine fabric outer border rectangle to the right and left sides. Iron, pressing the seam to the valentine fabric.
- Sew an X block to the short side of one remaining 6.5″ x 26.5″ border. Sew an O block to the other side. Create your other border alternating the X and O blocks. Iron, pressing seam to the valentine fabric. See quilt photo for block placement reference.
- Attach top and bottom borders. Make sure your Xs and Os are on opposite corners.
- Finish your wall hanging by quilting and binding as desired.
And now you are finished! This free pattern was designed by Cotton Candy Fabrics for use with the Celebrate the Seasons February Panel, Be Mine. The panel is available for purchase at www.cottoncandyfabrics.com while supplies last. We will provide a free printed pattern with every panel purchased.
Please tag us on social media if you make this pattern as we’d love to see your work:
And please reach out if you have questions or need help!